Learning is Fun
Life isn’t always fun and games—but your kids probably wish it was. If you are trying to encourage your children to keep learning, it helps to make it fun. Use these simple tips to make learning fun!
Your Child’s Interests
Does your child love dinosaurs, pirates or dancing? Use your child’s interests to your advantage to make learning fun. For example:
- If your child loves animals, make alphabet flashcards with animals on them.
- If they enjoy football, help him practice his math with story problems involving sports.
- If your child loves pirates, teach her to read with books about pirates having adventures.
Personalize your children’s learning experience to keep them excited and engaged in learning new skills.
Competition can be a great motivator. You don’t have to put your kids against each other or make things stressful—just use some friendly competition to spice things up a bit. Try one of these simple activities to encourage your kids to keep learning:
- Play a matching game with addition or subtraction flashcards.
- Let your child use a timer while they work on homework. Have them try to beat last week’s record.
- Create a treasure hunt and give your child educational clues to help them find the prize.
Learning to work well with others is an essential life skill. Let your kids work together to plan an educational activity, prepare an informative presentation, or just practice their multiplication tables. Working with others will keep things from getting boring, and your kids can learn from each other while practicing their teamwork skills.
Technology can be very helpful, use it to your advantage.
- Download educational games on your tablet or smartphone. There are great learning games for kids!
- Let your kids watch a reasonable amount of educational television.
- Practice writing skills on an electronic device.
- Let your kids make their own educational video.
Change things up by getting out of the house or classroom. A field trip will be memorable, exciting, and can be very educational. Taking your child to museums and other educational activities is a great way to make learning fun!
- Take your kids to the zoo or aquarium and spend some time reading the signs about the animals.
- Bundle everyone up on a clear night and go look for constellations.
- Take your kids to a local park and look for different kinds of plants and animals. Create a scavenger hunt to keep things interesting.
- Take a trip to the grocery store and have them practice their math skills by planning a meal on a budget.
- Go to an art museum and have your kids pick a favorite piece of art to write a short report about.
You may even want to create a worksheet that they can fill out while they are in the museum or field trip. This will keep them engaged without even knowing it!
Hands On Activities
Hands on activities make learning more fun and are very enjoyable for many kids. Try one of these activities:
- Cook a recipe together. Your children will get to practice their fractions while learning about planning and following instructions. At the end you’ll have a yummy treat as a reward!
- Help your kids write and illustrate their own stories.
- Practice counting with Legos or stuffed animals.
- Teach your kids to measure their heart rate after playing tag outside.
Learning doesn’t have to be boring. Use the ideas above to keep your kids excited about learning new things!