Budgeting can be difficult when you feel like the only money you are spending is on necessary purchases. But, even when you are spending money on purchases like food, you have to make sure that you are going to find ways that you can save money. There are a lot of people that do not realize how easy it is to save money on the food that they are purchasing.
1. Brew your own coffee instead of buying coffee from a local coffee shop. When you are buying coffee from a coffee shop you can spend as much as $1,500 a year on coffee. When you start to brew your coffee at home you will find that you spend under $500 a year.
2. Get your water from the tap rather than buying a new water bottle every time that you are thirsty. When you purchase a water bottle consistently, you may find that you are spending a lot of money each year on bottled water. Instead of spending that money, buy yourself a more permanent water bottle and fill it up throughout the day.
3. Buy your fruits and vegetables in season. Pay attention to what is in season and make sure that you buy accordingly. When something is not in season you may find that you are paying double what you would have paid otherwise.
4. Only buy food that you know you will be able to eat before it expires. There are a lot of people that throw away a lot of food each month. Make sure that you understand how you are going to measure the food that you are purchasing to ensure you do not buy too much.
5. There are a lot of convenience foods that are much more expensive than buying in bulk. Rather than buying individual portions, buy in bulk and then portion them out yourself.
6. Instead of buying name brands, go with store brands. This way, you can be sure that you are not paying extra money simply for the name on the package.
Shopping for food can be expensive, but with some planning you may be able to minimize the amount of money you are spending on your food.